If there’s one thing you can count on in Fayetteville, it’s that the weather here is completely normal. It always follow the seasons. For example, you’d never see temperatures in the 60s right in the middle of January.
The same goes for entertainment. In a month like January, you can fully expect a dull weekend around town. You might as well just stay home. Nobody’s gonna plan anything interesting in January. Right?
Wrong and wrong.
As the weather warms up to 60 degrees today, and as you try to decide between a Snuggie Pub Crawl, dinner-and-a-movie, a Help Haiti fundraiser, or a dozen excellent live music events, keep this in mind: There’s nothing normal about Fayetteville. And that’s what makes it so great.
Also on Friday, it’s a swing-infused, dance-driven, big band charts night at Scarpino’s with the Fayetteville Jazz Collective and over at Smoke & Barrel, the Tavern’s own Lucio leads his Grown Folks Night with five different live performances.
On Saturday, the NWA Roller Derby‘s Arkansas Killbillies team faces the The Hustlin’ Rollers of the Memphis Roller Derby. It’s the first bout of 2010 and the first in the derby’s new home at Starlight Skatium on College Ave.
Earlier that day, Fayetteville Underground hosts Art Collecting 101: The Thrill of Original Art. This event will be geared towards new art collectors, younger collectors, and those that may be unfamiliar with the gallery system or how one goes about buying art.
After you spend Sunday winding down, George’s is offering a cover-free evening of music with Pope County Bootleggers. Phew.
Below is the full list for the weekend. Good luck!
- Friday, January 22
- Opal Fly’s Feel Good Lounge: Beans & Cornbread, Tyrannosaurus Chicken, DJs Vaxination, Foxfire Magik
- Rogue: DJ Derrick
- Grub’s: Andy Frasco
- Greenhouse Grille: Alex Lewis Trio
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Adele and the Matts
- George’s: Lucero, Cory Branan, Bel Airs
- GoodFolk: April Verch
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Jamie Wolfe
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Lucio presents Grown Folks Night
- Teatro Scarpino: Fayetteville Jazz Collective
- UARK Bowl & Ballroom: Dinner and a Movie – A Fistful of Dollars
- Walton Arts Center: Mark O’Connor’s Hot Swing Quintet
- Jose’s: Red Ambition
- Dickson Street: 1st Annual Dickson Street Snuggie Crawl
- Clubhaus Fitness: Open House and Tour
- Speakeasy: Help Haiti fundraiser
- Saturday, January 23
- Rogue: The People in the Paper, Dreamfast
- Greenhouse Grille: Jed Clampit
- The Wine Cellar: Jovan Arellano & Big Jake
- Cheers: Cletus Got Shot – Roller Derby afterparty
- Opal Fly’s Feel Good Lounge: Effron White, Opal Fly, 3 Penny Acre
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Leaky Diamond
- Boom Boom Room: Maud Crawford
- George’s: Lucero, Cory Branan, Big Smith
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Wes & Karl
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: The Crumbs
- Teatro Scarpino: LFDC Funk, Dan’s Party
- Trailside Cafe & Tea Room: Tea Talk & Tasting
- St. Paul’s Episcopal: Robert Burns Night Dinner
- Jose’s: John D. Levan
- Fayetteville Underground: Art Collecting 101: The Thrill of Original Art
- Starlight Skatium: NWA Roller Derby: Arkansas Killbillies vs. The Hustlin’ Rollers (Memphis, TN)
- Sang House: FLIGHT!, Dead Gaze, Party Barge, Pink Drapes, Hellcake
- Sunday, January 24
- George’s: Pope County Bootleggers
- Pesto Cafe: Shannon Wurst
- Common Grounds: DJ SoulFree, Kacie Williams
- Greenhouse Grille: Clarke Buehling
- Opal Fly’s Feel Good Lounge: The Strut