Credit: UA Athletics
Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson’s decision on whether he’d leave college early for the NFL came a little earlier than expected.
Wilson had until Sunday to enter his name in draft, but released a statement Friday morning announcing his return to the Razorbacks for another year.
“I have decided to stay at Arkansas for the 2012 season because I am extremely excited for what this team has the opportunity to accomplish and to finish earning my degree,” said Wilson in a statement.
He said the decision was not an easy one to make.
ESPN.com last week listed Wilson as the third-best quarterback (behind Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III) who might be available in the upcoming NFL Draft.
“Although my goal is to play in the NFL, I believe I can benefit greatly from another year of working with Coach (Bobby) Petrino and Coach Paul Petrino,” said Wilson.
“This past year was great for us with 11 wins and a top-five finish and we want to build on that,” he said. “The group of players we have returning has high expectations and wants to work hard to compete for championships.”
Wilson said ultimately, the chance to complete his academics and play one more season as a Razorback were compelling reasons to remain in Fayetteville.
“I am excited to be able to spend one more season at a university where the leadership shows a tremendous amount of support and the passion of the fans is the best in the country.”
This is the third round of good news for Hog fans in the past week. Arkansas running back Knile Davis announced his return on Tuesday, and wide receiver Cobi Hamilton also tweeted that he’ll be back on Thursday.