5-day Weather Forecast
Partly Cloudy75° / 55°
Partly Cloudy75° / 54°
Partly Cloudy73° / 54°
Chance of a Thunderstorm77° / 57°
Partly Cloudy84° / 63°
Artists from the Fayetteville Underground have been without an exhibition space during First Thursday since December. That will change soon, however. They debut their new gallery and studio space at 101 W. Mountain on Thursday, Aug. 2.
With a sidewalk replacement project planned on Center Street between College Avenue and the square, several downtown business owners and a City Council member are asking that an alternative concept be considered before construction begins next month.
We just published a new book review from contributor Roger Barrett. He examines Tana French’s new novel, “Broken Harbor,” the fourth in the Dublin Murder Squad series.
Friday events, July 27
George’s Majestic Lounge kicks off the weekend with local bluesman RJ Mischo, and Tulsa guitar-slinger Steve Pryor for happy hour.
The Lightbulb Club continues its happy hour series with Austin blues trio, Mother Merey and The Black Dirt.
If you feel like some Appalachian Celtic-punk, Smoke & Barrel Tavern is the place to be Friday night. Cutthroat Shamrock is back in town.
For jokes, your best bet is UARK Bowl. Fools On Parade’s stand up comedy is back with emcee Sam Letchworth, featured comic Troy Gittings and headliner Jason Thompson. Admission is $5. Show starts at 9 p.m.
Full Friday list:
- Rogue: Michael Tisdale & The Union
- Ella’s: Pat Pathoumthong
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Tilly Time / Party Trap / RJ Mischo / Steve Pryor
- Greenhouse Grille: Alex Lewis Jazz
- The Lightbulb Club: Happy Hour w/ Mother Merey and The Black Dirt
- Foghorn’s on College: Michael Shaw
- Jose’s: Isayah’s Allstars
- Legacy Blues Lounge: Roby Pantall / Joe Giles & The Homewreckers
- Kingfish: Foley’s Van
- Fresco Cafe & Pub: Walter Savage
- JJ’s Grill: Jason Strode
- UARK Bowl: Fools On Parade Standup Comedy Show
- Scarpino: Calle Soul
- Dickson Street Pub: No Name Kicker
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Cutthroat Shamrock
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Matt’s Bar Band
Saturday events, July 28
The Saturday Farmers’ Market on the Fayetteville square has been a lot less crowded lately, so buying groceries is much easier. Also during the market this week, local band 3 Penny Acre is at Jammin’ Java.
There’s a good show at Smoke & Barrel Tavern Saturday night with Austin’s Sour Notes, and awesome locals, Swimming. The guys from Swimming should have some good stories from their summer tour.
Ruben Regalado (Perpetual Werewolf), Brian Abel (Fauxnz), Jason Rich (The Good Fear), and Charlie Rausch (Fauxnz) will play some early Kiss songs at the Lightbulb Club Saturday night. They’re calling themselves Godz of Thunder, and they’ll be in full costume for the tribute show. Here’s some more info.
There’s an early show at Nightbird Books with experimental pop band Humanimals that sounds pretty awesome. Check out a couple songs on their Facebook page.
COOL SHOES dance party is back in Fayetteville, and the event was recently moved to LIT. It’s also 21 and up this time, just FYI. DJs include Wolf-E-Wolf, EQ, and Baby Armie.
Full Saturday list:
- Fresco Cafe & Pub: Tommy Nolen
- Fayetteville Square: Farmers’ Market
- Jammin’ Java: 3 Penny Acre
- Foghorn’s on College: Scott Young
- Jose’s: Another Fine Mess
- Legacy Blues Lounge: Cherry Brooks / Roby Pantall
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Boom!Kinetic
- The Lightbulb Club: KISS tribute by Godz Of Thunder
- Walton Arts Center: Jazz: The Compositions of Dr. James Greeson
- Kingfish: Devil’s Promenade
- Stone Pony: Blackbird Medicine Band
- Dickson Street Pub: Justin Leflar
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Sour Notes / Swimming
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Basement Brew
- Nightbird Books: Humanimals
- LIT: COOL SHOES dance party
- Rogue: John Henry and the Earthshakers / Trashcan Bandits
Sunday events, July 29
There’s an afternoon performance at the Fayetteville Public Library featuring Aquila Theatre Company. According to the description on the library’s site, the company will present staged readings from Greek dramas. It starts at 2 p.m.
If you missed Mother Merey & The Black Dirt on Friday night (or if you want to see them again), they’ll be at Smoke & Barrel with locals Damn Arkansan (who are doing an acoustic set) Sunday night.
Also, local favorite Andy Frasco is back for a Sunday night show at George’s Majestic Lounge .
Full Sunday list:
|2:00 p.m.||Bid Openings: Bid 12-63, Dump Trailer Re-Bid & Bid 12-64, Articulated Wheel Loader||City Hall, Room 326|
*Send us your birthday shout-outs.