5-day Weather Forecast
Chance of a Thunderstorm88° / 66°
Thunderstorm82° / 64°
Thunderstorm72° / 57°
Chance of a Thunderstorm82° / 57°
Chance of a Thunderstorm79° / 59°
About 25 pigs, sponsored by local business and then painted by local artists, will be displayed in various locations around Northwest Arkansas over the next few weeks. It’s an Ozark Literacy Council project called PIGShibition, and the first pig sculpture was installed on the Fayetteville square on Thursday.
As excited as we are to see legends like John Prine, David Grisman, and Darrell Scott at the Fayetteville Roots Festival, we’re just as pumped to see folks like Pokey LaFarge perform. We got in touch with Pokey recently, and he answered a few questions for us.
Friday events, July 27
For happy hour, George’s Majestic Lounge has local legends Earl & Them in the garden starting at 6 p.m. Later on, the venue will host their 7th annual Jerry Garcia B-Day Bash, featuring an all-star cast of local musicians playing Greatful Dead tunes, including Drew Packard, Jody Cohen, Dave Gesualdo, Isayah Warford, Taylor Smith & Stingray.
Speaking of all-star local musicians, Matt Smith Group is back at Smoke & Barrel Tavern Friday night.
The Lightbulb Club has locals Devils Promenade for their smoke-free Friday happy hour show, and Keith Nicholoson Trio is at Kingfish.
Full Friday list:
- Greenhouse Grille: Roby Pantall Jazz
- JJ’s Grill: Ouachita River Band
- Tanglewood Branch Beer Co.: Teddy Sablon
- Jose’s: Chooch and the Side Hill Gougers
- The Lightbulb Club: Happy Hour w/ Devils Promenade
- Ella’s: Matt Smith
- Foghorn’s on College: The Number Two’s Band
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Earl & Them / Evan & the Naturals / Jerry Garcia B-Day Bash
- The Wine Cellar: Marshall Wallace Band
- Kingfish: Keith Nicholoson Trio
- Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Friends Of The Phamily
- Louie’s Bar & Grill: Effron White
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Michael Walker & Matt Smith
- Rogue: Amsterdam / The Revolutioners / Son of Suffering
- Scarpino: Salsa Night
- Legacy Blues Lounge: DJ Derrick D
Saturday events, Aug. 4
Benjamin Del Shreve has been laying low a bit over the last year or so, but he’s back in action at George’s Majestic Lounge. Local one-man dance party Messy Sparkles, and Memphis, TN band Family History are also on the bill, along with Joplin “hipsetry” band, Me Like Bees. We’re not sure what that means, but we checked out some of their tunes this week, and we think they sound pretty awesome.
There’s a big hip-hop show at Rogue with Smar-t Jones, Grotesk The Subhuman, Genjaben, Dead End Scribes, Sarx and Trak Masta Tom. That’s a lot of MCs.
ALso, Little Rock band The Tricks are at Smoke & Barrel Tavern, with fellow central Arkansans May The Peace Of The Sea Be With You. The Tricks just released a record earlier this month, and our friend Robert from Arkansas Times had some nice things to say about it.
Full Saturday list:
- Fayetteville Square: Farmers’ Market
- Fayetteville Public Library: Artist’s Reception: Megan Chapman
- JJ’s Grill: Ed Bowman & the Rock City Players
- Jose’s: Ransom
- Foghorn’s on College: Sean Kemp
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Me Like Bees / Messy Sparkles / Family History / Benjamin Del Shreve
- Rogue: Smar-t Jones / Grotesk The Subhuman / Genjaben / Dead End Scribes / Sarx / Trak Masta Tom
- Dickson Street Pub: Effron White
- Billy’s Grill: The Uncrowned Kings
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: May The Peace Of The Sea Be With You / The Tricks
- Legacy Blues Lounge: Laurie Morvan Band
Sunday events, Aug. 5
In celebration of the 600th anniversary of the birth of Joan of Arc, Dr. Maeve Maddox will present a three-part film presentation called A Joan for All Seasons: Joan of Arc in History and the Movies at the Fayetteville Public Library from 2-4 p.m. in the Walker Community Room. This is the first of three lectures, and it’s free to attend.
Tanglewood Branch Beer Co. has blues-ers Tyrannosaurus Chicken Sunday night. Admission’s only $3.
Full Sunday list:
- Botanical Garden of the Ozarks: Farmers’ Market
- Common Grounds: Jackson Jennings
- Fayetteville Public Library: A Joan for All Seasons: Joan of Arc in History and Film Part I
- Fayetteville Town Center: Hiroshima Nagasaki Remembrance
- Tanglewood Branch Beer Co.: Tyrannosaurus Chicken
- Greenhouse Grille: Pat Pathoumthong
- LaLaLand: Bird Law
|8:00 a.m.||Fayetteville Forward Green Economy Group||Chamber of Commerce|
*Send us your birthday shout-outs.