5-day Weather Forecast
Partly Cloudy86° / 64°
Chance of a Thunderstorm84° / 70°
Partly Cloudy90° / 72°
Chance of a Thunderstorm88° / 68°
Clear88° / 68°
The Clinton House Museum will host a birthday party in honor of former President Bill Clinton’s 66th birthday on Saturday, Aug. 18. Free moon pies.
Fayetteville was one of two cities in Arkansas named to a list of the least expensive cities to live in the U.S.
How are your pipes? Symphony of Northwest Arkansas (SoNA) this week announced auditions for SoNA Singers, an ensemble led by choral conductor Terry Hicks.
Despite all of the contributions songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Darrell Scott has made to the music of others, his solo material is pretty damn incredible in its own right. Next week, he’ll be in town for the Fayetteville Roots Festival. We tracked him down for an interview.
Friday events, Aug. 17
Miranda Lambert fans rejoice. The Taste of Country Festival is happening Friday night at The AMP, with Miranda Lambert, Pistol Annies, Randy Houser and more country artists. Gates open at 5 p.m., and the music starts at 6 p.m.
Smoke & Barrel Tavern has Kansas City honky-tonkers Adam Lee & The Dead Horse Sound Co. It also happens to be Mark Landry of Cletus Got Shot’s birthday weekend, and we found out this week that Cletus Got Shot will take the stage to play a few songs as well. New-ish duo Roots & Hellfire (featuring Cletus Got Shot’s Nathan Miller) will open the show.
There’s a big show at Fix Ultralounge Friday night called Art of Fashion. Chicago DJ Colette of OM Records fame is set to perform, along with Tulsa DJ duo Wookie Disco (featuring Turk) and resident DJs Beat Bachs, EQ, and Alvie Simone. Here’s the Facebook event.
The Lightbulb Club continues its happy hour series with songwriter Shawn James.
There’s a burlesque show at Scarpino with Blossom’s Burlesque, and local metal heros Vore are at George’s.
Full Friday list:
- The Warehouse: Warehouse Music Festival
- Greenhouse Grille: Alex Lewis Jazz
- Ella’s: Matt Smith
- The AMP: Miranda Lambert / Pistol Annies / Randy Houser
- Foghorn’s on College: Sarah Hughes
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Jimmy Buffet Tribute / David Starr & Ben Harris / Vore / Hessian Crucible / Auric
- Arts Live Theatre: Arts Live Theatre Awards
- Jose’s: Jason Strode
- Legacy Blues Lounge: Barrett Baber / Larry Bedell & T.C.R.
- Fresco Cafe & Pub: John Silva
- JJ’s Grill: Joe Giles & the Homewreckers
- The Lightbulb Club: Happy Hour w/ Shawn James
- Dickson Street Pub: No Name Kicker
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Adam Lee & The Dead Horse Sound Co.
- The Wine Cellar: Clint Scrivner
- Scarpino: Blossom’s Burlesque Show
- Rogue: Back-To-School Bash
- Fix Ultralounge: Art of Fashion w/ Colette
Saturday events, Aug. 18
Saturday’s gonna be a busy day. It starts with the Farmers’ Market on the Fayetteville square.
Also on Saturday morning, there’s a mini-golf tourney benefiting the Humane Society of the Ozarks at Gator Golf. It’s called Putt for Paws.
On Block Avenue, there’s a Cash Mob planned at Sound Warehouse and Hugo’s at 1 p.m.
Also at 1 p.m., the first ever Evelyn cHills Fest is set for the parking lot inside Evelyn Hills Shopping Center. The event features live music from Darren Ray, The Phosphenes, The Great Scotts, and the Trashcan Bandits, along with games, burgers, ice cream, and more. All proceeds benefit the March of Dimes.
Football fans, get ready. The Razorbacks warm up for their 2012 season with Razorback Fan Day on Saturday. Hog players will sign autographs inside Bud Walton Arena from noon until 2 p.m. Later on, the team hosts a Red-White scrimmage at Razorback Stadium at 7 p.m.
Eight local poets will read from their work at Nightbird Books during an event called Local Poet Fest. Here’s some more on that.
Famed comedy school Second City returns to Fayetteville with their new touring show, Second City for President. There are two shows, one at 6 p.m., and one at 9 p.m., at the Walton Arts Center Saturday night. It’s also the first show of the WAC’s 2012-13 season.
George’s Majestic Lounge has a big show with Weaver at the Loom, Silent Waits the Archer, Revolution Butterfly, A Good Fight, and Chasing Pictures. Last we heard, this show is in danger of selling out.
Full Saturday list:
- Fayetteville Square: Farmers’ Market
- Fayetteville Public Library: Umoja Soul NWA Author Event
- Bud Walton Arena: Razorback Fan Day
- Evelyn Hills Shopping Center: Evelyn cHills Fest
- Sound Warehouse: Cash Mob Sound Warehouse and Hugo’s
- Walton Arts Center: The Second City: Second City for President
- Foghorn’s on College: Wes Hart
- Jose’s: Leah & The Mojo Doctors
- Legacy Blues Lounge: Walter Savage / Oreo Blue
- Nightbird Books: Local Poet Fest
- JJ’s Grill: Mike & Grady
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Weaver at the Loom / Silent Waits the Archer / Revolution Butterfly / A Good Fight / Chasing Pictures
- The Lightbulb Club: Back To School Bash
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Tyrannosaurus Chicken
- Speakeasy: Back to School LUAU Party! Pub
- Rogue: Violet Liars
Sunday events, Aug. 19
During the day on Sunday, the third and final lecture in the three-part series, Joan of Arc in History and Film Part III, is set for 2 p.m. at the Fayetteville Public Library
There’s an H.P. Lovecraft Party at Nightbird Books featuring music by Potions, The Inner Party and Eyes of Iron Sunday night. In addition to the tunes, Lovecraft-themed shorts will be shown, and new editions of his books will be available. Here’s more info.
Also on Sunday, don’t forget that the Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo show originally scheduled for the AMP is now at Walton Arts Center.
Oh, don’t forget Art Amiss Visuals is from 5 to 10:30 p.m. at Rogue .
Full Sunday list:
- Botanical Garden of the Ozarks: Farmers’ Market
- Greenhouse Grille: Beth Stockdell
- Fayetteville Public Library: Joan of Arc in History and Film Part III
- Walton Arts Center: Pat Benatar / Neil Giraldo
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Trashcan Bandits / Shawn James
- Nightbird Books: Potions / Eyes of Iron / The Inner Party
- Rogue: Art Amiss
|9:00 a.m.||Fayetteville Forward Economic Accountability Council *||Public Library, Henry Board Room|
|10:00 a.m.||Bid Opening: Bid 12-66, Quarried Stone Boulders||City Hall, Room 326|
|2:00 p.m.||Bid Opening: Bid 12-65, Construction – Installation of Solid Waste Concrete Pad, Phase 2||City Hall, Room 326|
*Send us your birthday shout-outs.