Chance of a Thunderstorm86° / 52°
Clear73° / 52°
Partly Cloudy72° / 50°
Partly Cloudy77° / 57°
Friday events, May 9
It’s graduation weekend, and that means this city’s gonna be packed with folks from all over the place for the next few days. It also means that the legendary Cate Brothers will be playing the garden at George’s for happy hour Friday night, with Uncrowned Kings in the lounge.
It’s probably the last time to catch the Razorbacks at Baum Stadium for the season as well. The Hogs will take on the Aggies of Texas A&M in a weekend series, with games scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
If you’ve never seen the NWA Prison Stories Project’s “Stories From the Inside Out,” you should head to St. Paul’s Episcopal Friday night. The show is a performance piece based on real stories from the ladies inside the Washington County Detention Center, and it’s always a really moving show. Here’s some more info about it.
Local band Shawn James & The Shapeshifters will be at Smoke & Barrel Saturday night with Virginia Americana act Alex Culbreth.
The Lightbulb Club has a show with a new band featuring members of local group Don’t Stop Please called Comfortable Brother.
If it’s not raining, there are a couple good outdoor shows tonight with local supergroup Isayah’s Allstars at Jose’s, and Keith Nicholson Band at Kingfish.
- 6 p.m. Pratt Place Inn & Barn: WordPress meetup
- 6 p.m. George’s Majestic Lounge: Cate Brothers / Uncrowned Kings
- 6 p.m. Greenhouse Grille: Matt Smith Jazz
- 6:35 p.m. Baum Stadium: Arkansas baseball vs. Texas A&M
- 7 p.m. Fresco Cafe & Pub: Adams Collins Trio
- 7 p.m. Foghorn’s on Green Acres: Sean Kemp
- 7 p.m. Crystal Bridges Museum: Keynote Lecture featuring Richard Louv
- 7 p.m. Jose’s: Isayah’s Allstars
- 7 p.m. St. Paul’s Episcopal: NWA Prison Story Project Presents “Stories From the Inside Out”
- 7 p.m. Wine Cellar: Alex Lewis, Jazz
- 8:30 p.m. JJ’s Grill: Ouachita River Band
- 8 p.m. Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Dave Bright
- 9 p.m. JR’s Lightbulb Club: Comfortable Brother / Big Ginsburg / Annie Girl & The Flight
- 9 p.m. George’s Majestic Lounge: Honkey Suckle / Foley’s Van / The Whistlepigs
- 9 p.m. Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Alex Culbreth / Shawn James & The Shapeshifters
- 9 p.m. Kingfish: Keith Nicholson Band
Saturday events, May 10
The University of Arkansas will host graduation ceremonies all day on campus Saturday. Here’s some more information on that.
If you feel like doing some volunteer work this weekend, Lake Fayetteville Watershed Partnership is hosting a cleanup of the lake at 9 a.m. on Saturday. Here’s a bit more info.
There’s a huge health fair at the Fayetteville Town Center on Saturday called The Natural State of Health. We wrote about that earlier this week.
The symphony’s in town Saturday night. SoNA’s last concert of the season, Masterworks III is set for 7:30 p.m. at Walton Arts Center. Tickers are $28-$48 at the Walton Arts Center box office.
There’s some good local music in town Saturday night. Folk duo Airloom is at Kingfish, local Americana outfits Honeyshine, Cutty Rye and Wichita band Carrie Nation and the Speakeasy are at George’s, and The Lightbulb Club has rockers ThunderLizards, Auric, and Weedneedles.
- 7 a.m. Fayetteville Square: Farmers’ Market
- 8 a.m. Root Elementary: Root Run 5K and Fun Run
- 8 a.m. Ozark Natural Foods: Bean Mountain Farm Plant Sale
- 8 a.m. Lake Fayetteville: Lake Fayetteville Clean Up
- 9 a.m. Fayetteville Town Center: The Natural State of Health Fair
- 9 a.m. Crystal Bridges Museum: Discover the Grounds!
- 9 a.m. Jammin’ Java: Smokey and the Mirror
- 10 a.m. Fayetteville Public Library: Flavors of the Ozarks
- 10:30 a.m. Fayetteville Public Library: Family Concert with The Red Star Rounders
- 12 p.m. Dickson Street: 11th Annual Tour of Homes
- 4 p.m. Nightbird Books: Padma Viswanathan Book Launch
- 6:05 p.m. Baum Stadium: Arkansas baseball vs. Texas A&M
- 7 p.m. Foghorn’s on Green Acres: Voxana
- 7 p.m. Fresco Cafe & Pub: Handmade Moments
- 7 p.m. Jose’s: Kevin Upshaw and One Night Stand
- 7:30 p.m. Walton Arts Center: SoNA Masterworks III
- 8:30 p.m. JJ’s Grill: Jason Strode
- 8:30 p.m. Kingfish: Airloom
- 8 p.m. Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Ocie Fisher Blues Band
- 9 p.m. George’s Majestic Lounge: Honeyshine / Cutty Rye / Carrrie Nation and the Speakeasy
- 9 p.m. JR’s Lightbulb Club: ThunderLizards / Auric / Weedneedles
- 9 p.m. Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Shortfuze
Sunday events, May 11
Happy Mother’s Day to all the Moms out there. Y’all are doing important work.
Maxine’s Taproom is honoring the holiday with a Mother’s Day edition of their monthly storytelling open mic, Speak For Yourself. Tell stories about your mom, about being a mom, some mother earth stories, or something.
Terra Studios just outside Fayetteville is hosting their annual Spring Music Festival on Sunday. Here’s some more info on that.
- 12 p.m. Terra Studios: Spring Music Festival
- 1:05 p.m. Baum Stadium: Arkansas baseball vs. Texas A&M
- 2 p.m. Fayetteville Public Library: Local Author Karen Coody Cooper Book Talk and Signing
- 4 p.m. Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: Degree Recital: Kelby Ferguson, percussion
- 7 p.m. Maxine’s Tap Room: Speak for Yourself: Mother’s Day Edition
- 8 p.m. Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Teddy Sablon
Friday Public Meetings
|8:30 a.m.||Fayetteville Public Library Board of Trustees Retreat||Millar Hall, Mount Sequoyah|
Timothy Lee Nixon, Danny Messer, Randall Shreve, Samuel Gray, Todd Millikin, Jason Tipton, Wendy Shuffield Norman, Wade Kincaid III, Nikkol Smith, Christopher Polk, Stephen Morgan, Rick Stagner, Chris Pleimann, Marilyn Bullard, Roi Batista, Phillip Corbin, Reagan Hearndon, Franci Mayo, Toby Venable, Cynthia Morris, Jennifer Cristofaro, Trish Mills, Chris Crovella, Kelsey Cox, Aaron Schauer, Caitlin Briggs, Kyle Judkins, Shane Halverson, Lisa Hinrichsen
*Send us your birthday shout-outs.