Eight local high school seniors will be awarded college-sponsored National Merit Scholarships, according to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
About 2,500 scholarships, financed by U.S. colleges and universities, were announced Wednesday. The awards provide between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship.
It’s the most recent announcement of recipients from the organization, which will have awarded over $35 million in scholarships to about 8,000 students at the end of this year’s competition.
Earlier this spring, the group announced winners of corporate-sponsored Merit Scholarship awards and National Merit $2500 Scholarships. Another set of college-sponsored scholarship winners will be announced on July 14.
The following local students are the winners announced Wednesday by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation:
National Merit University of Arkansas, Fayetteville Scholarship
- Addison Cornwell, Fayetteville High School, seeking a career in chemical engineering
- David Smith, Prairie Grove High School, seeking a career in chemical engineering
- Arron Fox, Rogers Heritage High School, seeking a career in computer science
- Harper Rex Grimsley, Haas Hall Academy, seeking a career in chemical engineering
- Liam McMahon, Haas Hall Academy, undecided
- Laura Mantooth, Fayetteville High School, seeking a career in biomedical engineering
- Amanda Roberson, Fayetteville High School, undecided
National Merit University of Texas at Dallas Scholarship
- Emma Mathes, Fayetteville High School, seeking a career in animation and computer science