Five local high school graduates will be awarded college-sponsored National Merit Scholarships, according to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
About 1,600 scholarships, financed by U.S. colleges and universities, were announced Monday. The awards provide between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship.
It’s the final announcement of recipients from the organization, which has awarded over $35 million in scholarships to about 8,000 students this year.
The designees join approximately 2,500 other college-sponsored award recipients who were announced in late May.
The following local students are the winners announced Monday by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation:
National Merit University of Arkansas, Fayetteville Scholarship
- Aaron E. Koch, Fayetteville High School, seeking a career in biomedical engineering
- Ryan J. Thompson, Har-Ber High School, seeking a career in mechanical engineering
National Merit Michigan State University
- Katherine M. Magoulick, Haas Hall Academy, seeking a career in biology
National Merit University of Texas at Dallas Scholarship
- Courtney D. Griggs, Bentonville High School, seeking a career in biomedical engineering
National Merit Transylvania University
- Alicia F. Hoke, Bentonville High School, seeking a career in law