Thunderstorm72° / 48°
Clear75° / 55°
Clear82° / 61°
Clear79° / 57°
Friday events, July 18
The city’s Community Resources Division will host the 7th annual CDBG in the Park event from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday at the Walker Park pavilion in south Fayetteville. Here’s more on that.
The Fayetteville Public Library will host a film screening of the award-winning documentary, Growing Cities, at 12:30 p.m., followed by a community panel discussion moderated by Bryan Hembree, a local singer-songwriter who co-founded the Fayetteville Roots Festival. Details here.
Live music Friday night includes The Blind Pets and three other bands at Smoke & Barrel Tavern, National Park Radio and Candy Lee at George’s Majestic Lounge, and a great show at The Lightbulb Club with locals Doctor Nod, High Magic, and High Lonesome.
- 10:30 a.m. Walker Park: CDBG in the Park
- 12:30 p.m. Fayetteville Public Library: “Growing Cities” screening
- 6 p.m. Grace Point Church: Heidi Carlsen-Rogers Art Show
- 6 p.m. George’s Majestic Lounge: Goodluck Slim / Steve Pryor
- 6 p.m. Greenhouse Grille: Alex Lewis Jazz
- 7 p.m. Mermaids: Comedians NWA: Sarcasm Loading
- 7 p.m. Crystal Bridges Museum: Illustrated Lecture| Sam Green
- 7 p.m. Jose’s: 90lb Wrench
- 7 p.m. Foghorn’s on Green Acres: Hal Newton
- 7 p.m. Fresco Cafe & Pub: Anthony Ball Jazz Trio
- 8 p.m. Mojo’s Pints & Pies: The Dead Strangs
- 8:30 p.m. JJ’s Grill: Wes & Karl
- 9 p.m. Ryleigh’s: The Ghoul Goes West /Flight Machine
- 9 p.m. Smoke & Barrel Tavern: The Blind Pets / Cucumber & The Suntans / Doldrums / Sterling Witt
- 9 p.m. George’s Majestic Lounge: National Park Radio / Candy Lee & The Sweets
- 9 p.m. JR’s Lightbulb Club: High Magic / Doctor Nod / High Lonesome
- 9 p.m. Kingfish: Barrett Baber Band
Saturday events, July 19
The city’s “Meet Your Trails” series continues Saturday with a bicycle tour of the recently completed Clear Creek Trail in north Fayetteville. The tour leaves at 8 a.m. from the northwest corner of the Northwest Arkansas Mall parking lot by JCPenney. Here’s a map.
Speaking of bike tours, the Illinois River Watershed Partnership will host two bicycle rides along the scenic back roads of Cave Springs on Saturday. The event includes a 3.4-mile ride for families, and a 12.1-mile ride for faster paced riders. Both rides leave at around 9 a.m. from the Illinois River Watershed Sanctuary and Learning Center. Maps and more info here.
Saturday evening is the annual Firefly Fling at the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks. The event features a host of family-friendly activities on the garden grounds, including live kid’s music, glow-in-the-dark games, and interactive learning stations. Parents should bring chairs or blankets and ice chests.
- 7 a.m. Fayetteville Square: Farmers’ Market
- 9 a.m. Illinois RIver Watershed Learning Center: “Tour De Cave” Bike Tour
- 9 a.m. Jammin’ Java: Flashback
- 10 a.m. Block Avenue: Dog Days of Summer Sale
- 10:30 a.m. Fayetteville Public Library: Kinder family concert
- 1 p.m. May Bell Music: Songwriting workshop: Barak Hill / Gabrielle Idlet
- 5 p.m. Starlight Skatium: NWA Roller Derby Mashup Bout
- 6 p.m. Devil’s Den State Park: In Search of the Dragonfly
- 6 p.m. Botanical Garden of the Ozarks: Firefly Fling
- 9 p.m. JR’s Lightbulb Club: The Leave Me Be’s / Pagiins / Brothel Sprouts
- 6:30 p.m. Walmart Museum: Play it Forward Concert Series
- 7 p.m. Jose’s: Voxanna
- 7 p.m. Foghorn’s on Green Acres: Amanda Rey
- 7 p.m. Fresco Cafe & Pub: Anthony Ball Jazz Trio
- 8 p.m. Mojo’s Pints & Pies: The Old Fashioned
- 8:30 p.m. JJ’s Grill: Copelin Bates
- 9 p.m. Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Art Amiss 15 release show
- 9 p.m. George’s Majestic Lounge: JB and the Moonshine Band
- 9 p.m. Kingfish: Keith Nicholson Band
Sunday events, July 20
Local folk pop singer Candy Lee has a busy weekend, including two shows on Sunday. First up is a free 2 p.m. show at the Fayetteville Public Library with Lee and her full band, The Sweets.
Over in Bentonville, the KUAF Summer Jazz Series continues with Kansas City Brazilian jazz band, The Sons of Brasil. The group performs at 3 p.m. Sunday inside the 21c Museum Hotel. Tickets are $25-$35 and are available through digjazz.com.
Later in the evening, Candy Lee plays a solo show at 324 Ballroom behind Jose’s Mexican Restaurant. Music begins at 6 p.m. Cover charge is $5.
- 9 a.m. Jefferson Center: Sunday Farmers’ Market
- 11 a.m. Emelia’s Kitchen: Live jazz
- 11 a.m. Common Grounds: Chooch
- 1 p.m. Terra Studios: Gary Shipley
- 1 p.m. Devil’s Den State Park: Reptile Cuisine
- 2 p.m. Fayetteville Public Library: Summer Music Series – Candy Lee & The Sweets
- 3 p.m. 21c Museum Hotel: Sons of Brasil
- 6 p.m. 324 Ballroom: Candy Lee
- 6:30 p.m. Nightbird Books: HOWL women’s open-mic
- 8 p.m. Mojo’s Pints & Pies: Teddy Sablon
- 9 p.m. George’s Majestic Lounge: Pioneers of Rock N Roll
Friday Public Meetings
Saturday: Nancy Hairston, Ruby ShadowHunter, Mayra Carrillo, Teresa Loftin. Linda Stout, Angel Hartmann Brodsky, Lauren Koenigsman and Josh Higgins.
Sunday: Nancy Firmin, Effron White, Steve Sawyer, Haley Wade, John Faubus, Rotnei Clarke, Gayathiri Pathmanapan, Brittany Butler, Brent Leas, Michael Chandler, Debbie Morgan, Tim Higgs, Lisa Williams, Caty Coleman and John Gist.
*Send us your birthday shout-outs.