It was snowing in Fayetteville this morning. Not kidding. If you lived here, though, you’d already know that. So the question is, what are you doing snooping around this website if you don’t live here? Kidding, of course. I know why you’re here. I’d miss this place, too.
So what’s happening in town tonight? Stuff.
Cary Hudson is at George’s Majestic Lounge. Hudson is most famous for his former band, Blue Mountain, which he led with then-wife Laurie Stirratt. The band helped pioneer the alt-country movement in the early nineties and was even on the cover of the second issue of No Depression magazine. After Hudson and Stirratt split, so did Blue Mountain. Cary’s a solo guy now, but he’s still a badass.
And yes, you did recognize Laurie’s last name. Her brother, John, used to play with them both in a band called The Hilltops before he left to join Uncle Tupelo … and then Wilco.
Over at Scarpino’s tonight is Snake Eyes and the Bug Band, Arkansas’ only Cajun/Zydeco dance band.
What else is happening tonight? There’s DJs at FIX, jazz at Ella’s and more live music at both Greenhouse Grille and Smoke & Barrel Tavern.
Oh, and a “flash rave” at the UA Student Union at 11pm. What’s a “flash rave?” I’m not positive, but this link helps a little.
The full list:
- Ella’s: Jazz on the Hill
- George’s: Cary Hudson
- Greenhouse Grille: Dave Malm
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Mo Brothers
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Smiling Bob and Rachel
- Teatro Scarpino: Snakeyes and the Bug band
- Walton Arts Center: The Rat Pack is Back for the Holidays 7 pm
- Mellow Mushroom Pizza: Jovan Arellano
- Rogue: Andy Frasco, Josh Hicks
- Fix Ultra Lounge: DJ’s EQ & Shortfuze (no cover)
- UA Student Union: Flash Rave 11 pm (more)