Later this year, and possibly years from now, the weekend of July 2-4, 2010 will have several different names, depending on who you ask.
Lots of folks will just call it 4th of July Weekend 2010. For example, “Remember 4th of July Weekend 2010 when we put them blackcats in that lady’s shoe?”
It could also be called Bikes, Babes & Bling weekend, like, “Remember Bikes, Babes & Bling weekend in aught-10 when we saw that hairy guy wearing that purple speedo?”
Some folks will call it rodeo weekend, or freedom weekend, but I have a feeling that anyone that shows up for the show at the AMP on Friday night will perpetually refer to this weekend as Ted Nugent weekend. Just a hunch.
He wrote “Cat Scratch Fever.” He was in Damn Yankees. He’s conservative as hell, owns like a million guns, and once, he appeared in an episode of Miami Vice.
Ted Nugent is coming to Fayetteville on Friday for a show at the Arkansas Music Pavilion, and regardless of how you feel about his politics, no one can argue with the guitar intro / sweet drum pickup in Stranglehold. No one. You might as well see it performed live at least once before you die.
Bikes, Babes & Bling is also in town, and that means…well, we really don’t know what that means. It’s the first year. Bikers, probably.
There’s a clean energy rally and benefit for a Kenyan orphanage as well as the folks in the gulf at the Omni Center in Fayetteville featuring tunes by Stacey Mackey and David Kimbrough Jr., oil-spill inspired art by Joelle Storet, and gumbo from Lynn D’s Cajun Gypsy and Cafe Rue Orleans.
Saturday morning, everyone you know will be at the Farmers’ Market, and by everyone you know, I mean most of the people you know. There will also be a few strangers. Sorry.
In the afternoon, there’s an artist reception for photographer Sarah Tomlin at The Perk on Wedington. The show will feature Tomlin’s landscapes, still lifes, and nature photography, including several scenes from around Northwest Arkansas. Also, there will be coffee.
Tunes-wise, the Pope County Bootleggers are at JJ’s Grill-N-Chill, Big Bad Gina is at Scarpino’s, or you could check out Matt Smith at Smoke & Barrel.
There’s a fireworks show on the roof of the Walton Arts Center on Dickson St., sponsored by the folks at Bikes Babes & Bling starting around dark. Do yourself a favor, and watch the show while eating a funnel cake, or some other kind of badical carnival food. You can also find out what a Bubba Contest is at 12:10 a.m. on the main stage in the Walton Arts Center parking lot.
Sunday is the 4th of July, and that means you’ll need to buy beer sometime on Saturday.
There are three things on the calendar: Pat Pathoumthong, formerly of the Lucious Spiller Band, will be at Greenhouse Grille for brunch, Rogers blues-kid Nathan Aronowitz and Jeff Fox are at Common Grounds, and there’s a house show at The Groj with Real Live Tigers.
Here’s the rest. What are you guys doing this weekend?
- Friday, July 2
- Rogue: DJ Derrick
- Dickson Street: Bikes, Babes & Bling
- Greenhouse Grille: Shannon Wurst
- Jose’s: Leah & The Mojo Doctors / Sarah Hughes / The Odds
- OMNI Center: Enough is Enough
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: The Tyrones
- Ella’s: Lorie Morris
- AMP: Ted Nugent
- George’s: The Belaires / Pope County Bootleggers / TJ Scarlett
- Foghorn’s on College: Scott Young
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Sarah Hughes
- Teatro Scarpino: Salsa Night with Neta Band
- El Sancho Mexican Grill: Jeff Fox
- Saturday, July 3
- Jammin’ Java: Waoka
- Rogue: Red Ambition
- The Perk: Sarah Tomlin Artist Reception
- George’s: Gary Hutchison / Silverstone / Scarlett Knight
- Jose’s: Six-Speed Overdrive / Isayah’s Allstars
- Dickson Street: Bikes, Babes & Bling
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Pope County Bootleggers
- Ella’s: Raja
- Teatro Scarpino: Big Bad Gina
- Powerhouse: G Spot
- Walton Arts Center: Fireworks Display
- Maxine’s: David Kimbrough Jr. & Stacy Mackey
- El Sancho Mexican Grill: Russ Hutchinson
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Matt Smith
- Sunday, July 4
- Greenhouse Grille: Pat Pathoumthong
- Common Grounds: Nathan Aronowitz / Jeff Fox
- The GROJ: Real Live Tigers
- Mellow Mushroom Pizza: Zamarath / International Wizard
- LIT: Jody’s Living Room Open Mic