It’s weeks like these when writing this beast is completely overwhelming. There are well over 40 things on the calendar this weekend, and choosing what to highlight is next to impossible. Weeks like these, the weekend post might as well be two words long.
That would be a cop-out, though, huh? Alright, here goes.
Let’s start with the non-music events. We told you earlier this week about a new theatre company who will be introducing themselves to Fayetteville Friday night. Artist’s Laboratory Theatre will host a meet-and-greet, and “science fair” at their space behind Foghorn’s. What do I mean by “science fair?” Read this.
Also on Friday night, UA MFA candidate Justin Blasdel’s play “Your Last Friend, Inc” will be performed at Nadine Baum Studios.
Tunes wise, maybe you should check out one of the reunion shows in town. If you hung out in the basement of JR’s back in the early 2000’s, you might remember Deacon. Some of the guys moved to Nashville in 2006, but they’re back for a show at Rogue Friday night.
The Flipoff Pirates never broke up or anything, but as busy as Matt Smith, Jeff Kearney, and the boys stay with other projects, they don’t play as much as they used to. You can check them out at Smoke & Barrel.
There’s a big show at LIT on Friday as well, with Bass Science, Truly Grimly, and Fresh 2 Death. Truly Grimly features Cody from Two Fresh, if you saw them when they were in town recently. Expect to dance your ass off.
Saturday always starts with the Farmers’ Market. While you’re down there, and if you like tomatoes, you might as well stop by East Square Plaza for Ozark Slow Foods’ Tomato Tasting. You can try about 40 varieties of them for $5.
While you’re there, you should really take a peek downstairs at Fayetteville Underground. Why? It’s one of your last opportunities see some of this.
You can keep the tasting train going (I have no idea what that means) if you want, with a Tea Tasting at Trailside Cafe and Tea Room at 2 p.m.
There’s a street dance competition at the NWA Mall inside Gymnastics Joe’s (old movie theater) at 2 p.m. There are people traveling in from out of town for this and it’s being billed as Northwest Arkansas’s first ever legitimate Bboy Jam. Consider checking it out.
Saturday night, the “Firefly Fling: The Festival For Families” is going down at the Botanical Gardens. If you have kids, take them down there. They are guaranteed to be worn out by the time it’s over.
Hardaway has collaborated with DJ Benzi (crazy famous) on a 21 song mixtape “Reflex Rhymes” that he’ll release Saturday night at Rogue. DJ’s Shortfuze, MixxTenn, EQ and Sugar Shane will also perform before Hardaway takes the stage with EQ, Brad Haj, and a special guest appearance from Will Brand of The Poggs. The first 300 people to to arrive will get a free copy of the mixtape too. Score.
Ex Rootz, John Lowe, and No Control are at Jose’s on Sunday. According to Urk, John Lowe “lived in Fayetteville in the 80s and ran Rockhouse music, tours as Johnny Lowebow. John lives in Memphis now and makes and sells (and plays) these awesome 1, 2, 3, and 4-string cigarbox slide guitars. He’s sold them to members of the North Mississippi All-Stars, among others.” Sweet.
Audible Chocolate at Rogue this week features Jeff Price and Shane Capps, and Jeff Kearney plays a free show at George’s for Monster Mug night.
There are 9 million more choices below. Feel free to let us know what we missed, and do whatever you want. It’s the weekend.
- Friday, July 23
- Jose’s: 1 oz. Jig
- Whole Earth Organic Lounge: Grand Opening Party
- Rogue: Deacon
- Artist’s Laboratory Theatre: Artist’s Laboratory Theatre
- Ameroplace: Memphis Pencils / Literature
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Jamie Wolfe
- Ella’s: Sarah Hughes
- George’s: Big Smith / Nace Brothers
- Greenhouse Grille: Walter Savage Jazz
- LIT: Bass Science / Truly Grimly / Fresh 2 Death
- Jose’s: Boston Mountain Playboys
- Foghorn’s on College: Midnite Noon
- Drifters: The Jason Strode Band
- El Sancho Mexican Grill: Jovan Arellano
- Nadine Baum Studios: Your Last Friend, Inc.
- ROTC: Ransom
- Mojo’s: Beans and Cornbread
- Maxine’s: David Kimbrough Jr. / Stacy Nicole Mackey
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Flipoff Pirates
- Saturday, July 24
- East Square Plaza: Tomato Tasting
- Lake Wedington: Fayetteville Reunion Picnic
- Gymnastics Joe’s: The Hospital – Bboy Jam
- The Blue House: Hosta / Apartment 5
- Trailside Cafe & Tea Room: Tea Talk & Tasting
- Nightbird Books: Jim Fairbanks book signing
- Ella’s: Raja
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Ouachita River Band
- Botanical Garden of the Ozarks: Firefly Fling
- Foghorn’s on College: Mike Dewley
- Walton Arts Center: Fayetteville Jazz Collective w/ Tom Tiratto
- El Sancho Mexican Grill: Derek Townzen
- Nadine Baum Studios: Your Last Friend, Inc.
- George’s: A Good Fight / Army Of Birds / Rocker Lips / Starved For Attention
- Rogue: Reflex Rhymes Mixtape Release Party / Sarah Hughes
- ROTC: Shady Janes
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: HUMDRUM / DJ SweetNES / TIMBER!
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Michael Scott
- Mojo’s: Tractor Beam
- Sunday, July 25
- Jose’s: No Control / Ex Roots / and John Lowe
- Common Grounds: Jones & Leah / Joel Fletcher
- Emelia’s Kitchen: Garrett Jones & Drew Packard
- Greenhouse Grille: Raja
- George’s: Dave Johnson Benefit
- George’s: Jeff Kearney
- Rogue: Audible Chocolate with Jeff Price and Shane Capps
- Mellow Mushroom Pizza: Emily Knight
- ROTC: Jazzmopolitan