Aside from the fact that it’s miserably hot out there, it’s been an awesome week.
Work has been good, I’ve seen some good music, and for some reason, the internets have been a source of pure gold recently. On Monday, there was the story of the Jet Blue employee who quit his job with the most flair in job quitting history. Todd wrote more about that here.
Later in the week, there was more job-quitting news, this time with a girl quitting her job with a series of pictures & a white board after her boss called her a HOPA, followed by the revelation that the whole story was a hoax.
Then, America got to know Antoine Dodson, after his inspiring appearance on the local news in Huntsville, Alabama, leading to one of the best Auto-Tune the News ever created, followed by the most popular internet meme since, I don’t know, Chocolate Rain?
I’ve laughed a lot this week. Let’s keep that going this weekend, shall we?
What to do tonight really depends on what kind of mood you’re in.
If you’re in a rock and roll music kind of mood, you should head over to Maxine’s Tap Room to check out Perpetual Werewolf, Real Live Tigers, and Voyageurs. I don’t know where these Maxine’s shows are coming from, but I like it.
If you’re in a punk/bluegrass kind of mood, you should head to Smoke & Barrel for the Cletus Got Shot show. If all goes according to plan, they’ll be overseas for most of September.
If you’re in a country music mood, and you like super-famous country music stars, you’ll probably want to head to the Arkansas Music Pavilion to see Gary Allan. He has released seven albums, with 24 singles that have hit the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts – 3 of them reaching #1. Yeah, he’s famous.
Feelin’ some jazz? KUAF Summer Jazz series concludes with Frank Vignola Hot Club Trio 7:30 p.m at Stella Boyle Fine Art Concert Hall.
If you’re in a watch-a-movie-in-a-pool kind of mood (which, considering the fact that it’s going to be well over 100 degrees today, you might be), maybe you should head to the Wilson Park Pool for Dive-In Movie night. Star Trek’s playing tonight.
Something called “the farmers’ market” is scheduled for the square on Saturday. Ever heard of it?
Little Rock author John Pendergrass will be at Nightbird Books signing copies of, and reading from his novel “Pepper Jack.” That party starts at 7 p.m.
Speaking of Little Rock, two radass LR bands will be in town Saturday night at Smoke & Barrel. The See return along with JT Tarpley (Frown Pow’r).
Joplin folk/blues/bluegrassy act Ben Miller Band is back for a show at George’s, and locals The Shady Janes are at ROTC. Word on the street (OK, Brad from the band sent us a message) is that The Shady Janes have a new record out soon.
Sunday is going to be music-filled.
Audible Chocolate features The Goaneck at Rogue, spinning some Sunday chilling tunes.
Also in the afternoon, and running into the evening, George’s is hosting a benefit for the family of legendary Fayetteville musician Windy Austin. Austin died last weekend, and an all-star lineup of musicians are showing up to play the memorial service. Jim Mills, Steve Pryor, Smiling Dogs, Earl & Them, The Traveling Wheelbearings, and a Zorro & The Blue Footballs/Hot House Tomato Boys Alumni show featuring Steve Ward & Mike Mohney. It all starts at 4 p.m.
Later on at George’s, After Party All-Stars play Monster Mug Night.
There’s a lot more below, and feel free to let us know what we missed in the comments. What are you guys doing this weekend?
- Friday, Aug. 13
- Stella Boyle Smith Concert Hall: Frank Vignola
- Teatro Scarpino: Salsa Night w/DJ Mandole Mixx
- El Sancho Mexican Grill: Barrett Baber
- The Wine Cellar: Emily Knight
- Hooters: Quinntalkin
- The Showcase: Zach Paxton / Preston Keith
- Dickson Theater: Skyline
- Rogue: DJ Derrick
- Ella’s: Matt Smith
- Greenhouse Grille: Alex Lewis Jazz Duo
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Will Brand
- George’s: Lafuso / Leah Spears Duo
- Walton Arts Center: The Frank Vignola Hot Club Trio
- Wilson Park: Dive In Movies: Star Trek (2009)
- Foghorn’s on College: Scott Young
- AMP: Gary Allan / Wade Bowen
- Jose’s: Durham
- Maxine’s: Perpetual Werewolf / Real Live Tigers/ Voyageurs
- Mojo’s: JoJoMas
- Teatro Scarpino: Salsa Night w/ DJ Mandole Mixx
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Cletus Got Shot / Penny Hill
- Saturday, Aug. 14
- Jammin’ Java: Odis Elevator and the Flights
- El Sancho Mexican Grill: Jovan Arellano
- Teatro Scarpino: Retro Six Reunion
- Nightbird Books: Jon Pendergrass Reading & Booksigning
- Jose’s: 1 oz. Jig
- Foghorn’s on College: Midnite Noon
- Ella’s: Sarah Hughes
- JJ’s Grill n Chill: Quinntalkin
- ROTC: The Shady Janes / Jacob Crowell
- Mojo’s: Randall Shreve
- Rogue: Guta / Anita Clark
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: The See / JT Tarpley
- George’s: Ben Miller Band
- Sunday, Aug. 15
- Common Grounds: Justin Cauble / Amy Mathesius
- Greenhouse Grille: Clarke Buehling Banjo
- George’s: Windy Austin Memorial Service
- Mellow Mushroom Pizza: Sarah Hughes
- Rogue: Audible Chocolate with The Goaneck
- George’s: After-Party Allstars