What a weird weekend.
For one thing, The Black Eyed Peas, Alicia Keys, and Will Smith are hanging out on the UA campus right now for the Walmart Shareholders meeting.
Just down the pig trail from Fayetteville, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, STS9, Bassnectar, Ghostland Observatory, Mumford and Sons, and My Morning Jacket will be playing at Wakarusa this weekend.
At the Fayetteville Public Library, Harry and The Potters are playing. This town rules the schools. Do something awesome.
The Razorback baseball team is taking on Charlotte in the Tempe Regional of the NCAA Baseball Tournament today at 4 p.m. The Hogs aren’t hosting this year, so you’ll just have to listen to it on the radio, or watch the video (without audio play by play) online.
Of all the Harry Potter tribute bands in the world, it’s likely that none are more famous than Harry and the Potters. As it happens, the most famous Harry Potter tribute band in the world is playing at Fayetteville Public Library Friday night at 5 p.m. in the Walker Community room. (Seriously, they’re pretty famous).
Of all the Fayetteville bands in the world, it’s likely that none are more respected around the region than the Cate Brothers, and they happen to be playing at George’s for happy hour beginning at 6 p.m. Locals Boom Kinetic and Six Hung Sprung will play the late-night show.
Did you see Voyageurs at the Block Street Block Party? Did they blow your mind? If you said yes twice, you’ll be happy to know they’re at Smoke & Barrel Tavern Friday night along with a really good Fort Smith band, Tafias.
On the Wakarusa front, locals Where’s Lawrence are playing the backwoods stage at 12:15 p.m. After that, the Friday night lineup is pretty badical as well. As mentioned above, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, STS9, Bassnectar, Ghostland Observatory and My Morning Jacket are playing. Add Ryan Bingham to that list, as well as local favorites Lucero, and things are gonna get real down there. Here’s Friday’s full schedule.
Saturday always starts with the Farmers’ Market on the Fayetteville square. Maybe you’ll see Will Smith or Fergie Ferg down there (not likely).
It’s another huge night on the Mulberry Mountain at Wakarusa Saturday night. Mumford and Sons, Ben Harper & Relentless 7, Galactic, Perpetual Groove, Mountain Sprout, and STS9 (their second Wakarusa set) are some of the acts on the schedule. Local favorites the Ben Miller Band are playing the George’s/Backwoods stage at 6 p.m., FYI.
Smoke & Barrel Tavern has Eureka Springs band Fossils of Ancient Robots! on Saturday night. Last time they were in town, they pretty much freaked everyone out with their awesomeness.
There will also be Hog Baseball at some point on Saturday. If they win their game on Friday, they’ll play the winner of Arizona State/New Mexico at 9 p.m. on Saturday. If they lose, they’ll play the loser of that game Saturday at 4 p.m.
The Fayetteville Public Library is kicking off its new Mountain Street Stage music series this week, with Outside the Lines. Music starts at 2 p.m. in the Walker Community Room.
There’s more below, and feel free to add to the list in the comments. Have an awesome weekend.
- Friday, June 3
- V.S. Mobley’s General Store: Twinkle Tee TrunkShow
- Fayetteville Public Library: Harry and the Potters
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Cate Brothers / Boom Kinetic / Six Hung Sprung
- Greenhouse Grille: Alex Lewis Jazz Trio
- Foghorn’s on College: Vikki Cunningham
- Jose’s: Durham
- Fayetteville Town Center: Arkanssa Support Network 13th Annual Dinner and Silent Auction
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Voyageurs / Taifas
- JJ’s Grill: Jason Strode
- ROTC Grill: Casual Flyze
- Arsaga’s on Crossover: Waoka
- The Wine Cellar: Jones & Leah
- Teatro Scarpino: Salsa Night with Calle Soul and DJ Tonny
- Hjem Restaurant: Craig Hagar
- Mulberry Mountain (Ozark, AR): Wakarusa
- Saturday, June 4
- Fayetteville Square: Farmers’ Market
- Ozark Natural Foods: Art Reception featuring Jenn Bowman
- Walton Arts Center: Williams Center presents Dream Big Dancing Stars
- Fayetteville Public Library: Trike Theatre Academy Players present “The Short Tree and the Bird That Could Not Sing”
- Foghorn’s on College: Ben Coulter
- JJ’s Grill: Old School
- Smoke & Barrel Tavern: Fossils of Ancient Robots!
- George’s Majestic Lounge: Lafuso
- Sunday, June 5
- Greenhouse Grille: Pat Pathoumthong
- Fayetteville Public Library: Outside the Lines
- Mulberry Mountain (Ozark, AR): Wakarusa