Shawna Thorup, executive director of the Fayetteville Public Library, resigned last week. No explanation for Thorup’s resignation has surfaced yet. Thorup’s separation agreement provides six months salary and benefits. Lolly Greenwood will serve as interim executive director. (Library Journal)
With a record number of students this fall at the UA, growing pains have already begun. In fact, some students were temporarily housed in hotels. (Arkansas Traveler)
Festivals named Fest of All are becoming popular across the country. Chicopee has one, Baltimore has one, Austin has one, and now, Fayetteville has one. It’s this week during First Thursday. (NWAOnline)
Locals: Dudley Dawson, Laurie Anderson, Dillon Dooms, Chad Sims, Karl Zoch, Heather Lynn Brownstone, John Coleman, Dori Colston, Tammy King, Shawn Rose, Misty June Ricke-Slavens, Ryan Rhoades, Tom Ryan, Carmen Hennelly, Leslie Ray, Tyler Clark, and Samantha Downs.
Others: Country singer Kitty Wells is 92, actor Bill Daily (“The Bob Newhart Show”) is 84, comedian Lewis Black is 63, guitarist Lars Frederiksen (Rancid) is 40, actress Cameron Diaz is 39, TV personality Lisa Ling is 38, and tennis player Andy Roddick is 29.
In case you hadn’t heard, it’s county fair time at the Washington County Fairgrounds. The carnival kicks off tonight at 5 p.m. and to celebrate, it’s $2 Tuesday. $2 will get you in the door and all rides are $2 each. Also, the Scott Miller Band will provide some tunes.
Do you prefer the circus over the carnival? If so, tonight’s Audible Chocolate event at George’s may suffice.
Elsewhere, there’s comedy at West End, Chris Jerry is at JJ’s and the Ozark Poets and Writers Collective welcomes back Arkansas Delta writer Jo McDougall at Nightbird Books.
- Fayetteville Square: Farmers’ Market
- Botanical Garden of the Ozarks: Deer fencing workshop
- JJ’s Grill: Chris Jerry
- Washington County Fairgrounds: Washington County Fair
- Savor: Matt Jenkins and friends
- Nightbird Books: OPWC presents Jo McDougall with William Trowbridge
- George’s Majestic Lounge: OLIVE-Circus Show
- West End: Comedy Open Mic night
- City Hall, Room 326: City Council Agenda Session * (agenda) – 4:30 p.m.
- City Hall, Room 326: Equipment Committee * – 5:15 p.m.
- City Hall, Room 326: Street Committee * – 6:15 p.m.
- City Hall, Room 111: FFEAC Local Food Action Group – 7:00 p.m.
* Meetings scheduled to be televised by the Fayetteville Government Channel are indicated with an asterisk