Well. It’s almost over.
The dream season that most Hog fans expected in 2012, which quickly turned into a nightmare by the second week of the season, is coming to a merciful end. The John L. Smith era of Razorback Football will be finished exactly one week from today. Soon, a coaching search that has been going on since former head coach Bobby Petrino was fired back in April will also be over.
And if the Razorbacks aren’t able to beat the Mississippi State Bulldogs on Saturday morning, the Razorbacks chances of making a bowl game this season will also be kaput.
The Hogs, at 4-6, are already a long shot to reach bowl eligibility at seasons end considering that even if they are able to get by the Bulldogs this weekend, they’d also have to defeat 7th ranked LSU at home next week to reach the six wins necessary for a lower-tier bowl invitation.
But we all know that stranger things have happened before when it comes to the Razorbacks.
With their backs against the wall this week, the Hogs will travel to Starkville to face a Bulldog team that, after a 7-0 start to the season, have lost three straight games over a brutal stretch against Alabama, Texas A&M, and LSU.
The Bulldogs, however, have a lot to play for as well. If they can get by the Hog, they’re a winable game against in-state rivals Ole Miss away from a nine-win regular season, and a chance for a very nice bowl game of their own.
In other words, the Hogs have their work cut out for them. Arkansas is a six point underdog. Our guess: Mississippi State 35, Arkansas 21.
Let us know what you think the final score will be. If you’re the closest (see rules below), you’ll get a free t-shirt from Bearstate Supply.
How to enter
Leave a comment with your game prediction. If you want to add anything else, please feel free.
What you’ll win
One short sleeve t-shirt of your choice (design, color, size) from the Bearstate Supply online store (hoodies, long sleeve, ringers and tri-blends not included).
- You only may enter this specific contest once.
- Contests are open to anyone anywhere except staff of Fayetteville Flyer and their immediate family members.
- The winning entry must pick the winning team and have the smallest combined difference from each team’s final score. Example: If the Razorbacks win by a score of 21-7, and your prediction was Razorbacks 20-10, your difference would be 1 + 3 = 4. In the event of a tie, a winner will be selected by a random drawing.
- You must pick the score by 15 minutes before kickoff for each game.
- Make sure you leave a valid e-mail address when filling out the comment form since that’s how we’ll contact you if you’ve won.
Arkansas vs. Mississippi State
Date: Saturday, Nov. 17
Time: 11:21 a.m. Central
Location: Starkville, Miss.
Broadcast: SEC Network