Ward 4 Alderman Alan Long / Courtesy photo
The Fayetteville City Council selected a new vice mayor before the start of the first meeting of 2017.
The council on Tuesday elected Ward 4 Alderman Alan Long to the position. He replaces Ward 1 Alderwoman Sarah Marsh, who has served as vice mayor since January 2015.
The vice mayor post is a mostly ceremonial position that fills in when the mayor is absent. Mayor Lioneld Jordan has so far been present at all 198 meetings since beginning his first term in 2009, but has on a few occasions stepped out of the council chambers briefly during a meeting, requiring the vice mayor to take over as chair.
Long was elected to the post by a vote of 5-3. Before the vote, Alderman Mark Kinion nominated Marsh for a second term, and Alderman Justin Tennant nominated Long. During the vote, Long received votes from Tennant, Adella Gray, Sarah Bunch, John La Tour and himself. Marsh received votes from Kinion, Matthew Petty and herself.
Also on Tuesday, the Fayetteville City Council approved 21 appointments to 11 open board and committee positions.
Most appointments are recommended by the mayor or the council’s Nominating Committee, which is comprised of one alderman from each of the city’s four wards as chosen by the mayor each January. Members of the 2016 Nominating Committee included Sarah Marsh (Ward 1), Chairman Mark Kinion (Ward 2), Martin Schoppmeyer (Ward 3) and Alan Long (Ward 4).
Fayetteville citizen committees consist of mostly volunteer citizens who resident within the city limits and are registered voters. Vacancies are posted here on the Flyer once each quarter.
The following appointments were unanimously approved on Tuesday:
Recommended by Mayor Lioneld Jordan:
Fayetteville Public Library Board of Trustees
– Rob Qualls, unexpired term ending April 1, 2021
Recommended by the Housing Authority Board of Commissioners:
Housing Authority Board of Commissioners
– Laurence McMahon, term ending Dec. 28, 2021
Recommended by the Nominating Committee:
Active Transportation Advisory Committee
– Drew Wallis, community/citizen-at-large term ending Dec. 31, 2018
– Chris Baribeau, community/citizen-at-large term ending Dec. 31, 2018
– William Corley – unexpired pilot term ending Dec. 31, 2018
– Todd Crane – aeronautical term ending Dec. 31, 2021
– Lizzie Johnson – University of Arkansas term ending Dec. 31, 2021
Animal Services Advisory Board
– Catherine E. Donnelly, unexpired licensed veterinarian term ending June 30, 2019
– No applicants
Civil Rights Commission
– Charles Watson, business community term ending Dec. 31, 2019
– Chris Christoffel, citizen-at-large term ending Dec. 31, 2019
Energy Improvement District
– Frank Mayfield, term ending Dec. 31, 2018
Environmental Action Committee
– Claire Allison, community citizen-at-large term ending Dec. 31, 2019
– Colin Massey, unexpired community citizen-at-large term ending Dec. 31, 2018
Parks and Recreation Advisory Board
– Dana Smith, term ending Dec. 31, 2019
– Wade Colwell, term ending Dec. 31, 2019
– William (Bill) Putman, term ending Dec. 31, 2019
– Chad Harcourt, unexpired term ending June 30, 2018
Urban Forestry Advisory Board
– Alan Ostner, tree service community term ending Dec. 31, 2018
– Glenda M. Patterson, community citizen-at-large term ending Dec. 31, 2018
– Amy Jones, community citizen-at-large term ending Dec. 31, 2018
– Audra Rogers, community citizen-at-large term ending Dec. 31, 2018