A portion of Old Wire Road will be closed for a week while crews work on a road improvement project in the area.
Old Wire will close from Overcrest Street to Elmwood Drive beginning at 6 a.m. Monday, July 30. The closure is expected to be in place 24 hours a day and last through 8 a.m. Monday, Aug. 6. Detour routes will be marked (see map below).
The current phase of the Old Wire Road Improvement Project includes upgrades from Ash Street to Gulley Park, including:
- A 9.5-foot, two-way protected bike lane (cycle track) separated from the roadway by a 4-foot-wide stamped concrete median about 0.88 miles long on the east side of Old Wire Road
- A 5-foot sidewalk east of the bike lane adjacent to residences
- Street and sidewalk lighting
- New traffic light signals, including a dedicated bicycle lane signal at the intersection of Old Wire Road and Township Street
- A signalized pedestrian crossing at Stanton Avenue (High intensity Activated crossWalK (HAWK) or Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon)
- Asphalt overlay of the northbound lane from Ash Street to the Gulley Park parking lot
- Stormwater improvements, including a new pre-cast box culvert and additional drainage improvements along Old Wire Road, Overcrest Street and Niokaska Creek
The cycle track-style protected bike lane design is a prototype that may be used across Northwest Arkansas in the future.
Construction on this phase started earlier this year and is expected to be completed in May 2019.