New Splash Pad at Walker Park / Staff photo
The new splash pad at Walker Park will officially open at 5 p.m. Wednesday, May 15.
The opening was originally set for last weekend, but was postponed due to rainy weather.
After opening day, the splash pad will be open daily from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m. through the third Sunday in September.
More information, including rules for the splash pad are available at fayetteville-ar.gov.
About the splash pad
The City Council in January approved a $370,000 contract for construction of the splash pad, which also included a new restroom facility.
The money came from the park development fund, which is fueled by the parks department’s share of the city’s hotel, motel and restaurant (HMR) tax. The city collects a 2 percent tax on hotel/motel stays and prepared food sales. Half of the money goes to pay for parks maintenance, operations and capital improvements. The other 1 percent goes to the Fayetteville Advertising & Promotion Commission.
Walker Park is located at 10 W 15th St. in Fayetteville.
Splash Pad Rules
When the button is pressed, the splash pad will run for several minutes, then the button will need to be pushed again. Do not hit or repeatedly press the button.
- Anyone violating these rules may be evicted from the park<./li>
- Don’t drink the water.
- Climbing on the splash pad features is strictly prohibited.
- All children under the age of nine must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Be courteous, safe, and family-friendly.
- No glass containers, gum, food or drinks permitted on the splash pad.
- No pets, pool toys, skateboards, roller blades, bikes, scooters, etc. on the splash pad.
- Children not toilet trained must wear swim diapers. Do not change diapers in the splash pad.
- Do not use the splash pad if you have a communicable disease, diarrhea, or an open wound.
- Footwear is recommended.
- Running, jumping, and roughhousing are prohibited.
- The splash pad is an unsupervised facility. Use at your own risk.