Fayetteville City Hall / File photo
Anyone interested in serving as Fayetteville’s City Clerk-Treasurer is invited to apply for the open position.
The City Clerk-Treasurer is normally elected to a four-year term, but the recent death of Sondra Smith left a vacancy that must now be filled by the City Council, according to state law.
The council is charged with reviewing applications, interviewing candidates and appointing someone to serve the remainder of the term, which is approximately 13 months.
Interested applicants must meeting the following minimum qualifications:
- Meet election criteria for the position as required by Arkansas state law
- Be a resident of the City of Fayetteville
- Be a registered voter in the City of Fayetteville
Preferred qualifications as well as a job description, benefits information, and an application can be found at governmentjobs.com.
From the city:
The timeline for the process is as follows:
- Applications will be accepted from Wednesday, October 30 through 5 p.m. on Thursday, November 7. Late applications will not be accepted. Applications must be submitted via the City’s online application system.
- City Council and Mayor will individually select their top candidates.
- The City Clerk’s Office will notify the top five applicants by 12 p.m. on Tuesday, November 12.
- Selected top five applicants must be present in room 326 of City Hall by 5 p.m. on Thursday, November 14. These applicants will draw for interview slots at 5 p.m. If an applicant selected to be interviewed is not on time, they will be disqualified.
- City Council will then hold a special meeting on November 14 to interview candidates and will announce the new City Clerk-Treasurer during the meeting.
- The new City Clerk-Treasurer will begin work on Monday, December 2.
- The City Clerk-Treasurer will be sworn into office at the City Council meeting on Tuesday, December 3.
All City Council meetings are recorded and broadcast live, and all applications are subject to Arkansas’s Freedom of Information Act laws.
To learn more about the Office of the City Clerk-Treasurer, please visit fayetteville-ar.gov.